Blogger:

Los Angeles, United States
Welcome to my blog. Running out of time is about sharing all things beautiful. Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it, and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists expires. Life is too short, so let's start writing.

March 8, 2010

Third Of It's Kind.

I don't usually celebrate particular holidays and events that spring upon us once a year, but today is a special one. Today, March 8th is International Women's Day and this one goes out to all the amazing women in my life.




My mother. You are an amazing woman, you have done so much for me that I cannot thank you enough. You are my inspiration yet you are the reason why I did not want to follow your footsteps. You taught me well, you always told me stories about my birth and you always told me how important I am to you, that I am the foundation of your joy, strength, peace and love.


My grandmother. You explained things very simply, like you knew everything and you probably did. I thank you for being so simple. I thank you for telling me the truth, so that I did not need to believe a lie that would have made things 'easier' for me. When in fact, not knowing the truth would have made things complicated. You were the only believer in me when I told you my dreams, you told me 'dream, but do more than dream... dream big'. You sold eggs to look after your seven children when your husband left you lonesome and never came back, you never thought of yourself, you were always so selfless and I love you for it. You helped me overcome my illness when I was a child, you put me on your back so that I wouldn't get tired of walking and get out of breath... and look at me now, third of your kind.


My mother-in-law. You opened your arms to me and let me in to your amazing family. You are such a wonderful woman and do so much for your community and the world with your soft heart and kind soul. I am so very lucky to have you in my life.


My girlfriends. The power of your friendship in my life matters dramatically. Many of us who once believed family was the centre of life now know that friends may be the difference between a lonely life and a living one. I have found that in many ways we share a common language. No matter what our culture, no matter what our background, we can understand each other. You ladies are my core, you know and accept me for who I am and have the trust and loyalty I can count on. I have the best girlfriends anyone could ever ask for.


I am a woman so hear me well. I am a loving daughter, a learning lover, one day I will be a mother. I can wield a heavy spade, as a mechanic I make the grade, I can form a beautiful bouquet, plow a field and then toss hay. There is nothing I can't do yet I'm a lady through and through. I have a voice and I have a brain, need I bother to explain?




No comments:

Post a Comment