Blogger:

Los Angeles, United States
Welcome to my blog. Running out of time is about sharing all things beautiful. Time is the most undefinable yet paradoxical of things; the past is gone, the future is not come, and the present becomes the past even while we attempt to define it, and, like the flash of lightning, at once exists expires. Life is too short, so let's start writing.

August 25, 2010

Hallelujah.

Jeez, how time dissolves. Tis strange when you look back to what has happened, changed, and evolved. My lack of writing has been due to these changes, adjusting, understanding and slowly settling in to my new comfort zone. A lot of you have been very eager to find out exactly what I do, so I'm here to give you a mouthful.

Since my resignation a load of new changes has happened in my life. Starting with a new career. Well, not exactly new but new enough. Retail has been apart of me since the age of 17, when I desperately tried to explain to my father that sending me off to the work world would be a great idea. Especially for me since I was 17, going on 30. After interning at Topshop I was ready to reach as high as I could. I landed a gig at Harrods working for Mr. Al Fayed's daughter. I absolutely loved working for Jasmine Di Milo. Every day I was emersed in seven floors of exquisite collections across 4.5 acres of luxury. The hardest thing here was probably to walk across the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar each day only to remind myself of the ''no drinking while on work premises'' policy. Yes, that was indeed the hardest thing. Don't judge me silently.

Veuve Clicquot Champage Bar @ Harrods.

The reason Visual Merchandisers exist today has to do with the “invention” of the Department Store, and not the little general merchandise store. My job exists because one man had the foresight to take all the general merchandise and stick it under one roof. Aristide Boucicaut came up with the idea of creating a store that sold all sorts of merchandise, attracted crowds, and would allow people to wander freely about; “a town within a town.” In 1838 he opened Le Bon Marché, in Paris – but it became the world’s first department store because of his innovation with distribution of goods in 1852.

It wasn’t long before this idea caught on over seas and others followed suit:
Macy’s, New York in 1858
Marshall Fields, Chicago in 1865
Bloomingdale’s, New York in 1872
Wanamaker, Philadelphia in 1876
Other stores such as Sears, Barney’s and Saks didn’t open until the 1920s

You have all been under the spell of the visual merchandiser, you just didn’t know it!
  • If you ever stood in line waiting to pay for something and unconsciously picked up an item to either look at or throw in your basket you have been under its spell.
  • If you have ever walked by a table full of merchandise then stopped to pick it up, you have been under its spell.
  • If you have ever walked by a store and a display or focal point caught your eye so much that you walk into the store, you have been under its spell.
That is my job as a window dresser, fashion stylist, trimmer, or professionally known as a Visual Merchandiser to create something so eye-catching, it draws you in.

Visual Display at the newly opened Forever21 in Times Square NYC.







Retailers began to realize that the interiors of their stores where just as important, if not more so, than the windows, hence, these artists were brought “inside” to create visual interest throughout the store – and the visual merchandiser was born.

As a visual merchandiser, we don’t just style mannequins and add a prop here and there, we are a part of a collective design team, that can also include the buyers, fashion directors, creative directors, marketing, and store management. It is our job to make the store look good. It is a well-respected job and a much sought after talent, don’t believe me? Go visit a store one afternoon, and this time pay attention to the displays, lighting, and fixtures. I’m sure words like horrible and awful will cross your mind more than once.

Happy Spending!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're so happy in your new position, Bee. You are sorely missed at Bloomie's but I am so happy for you. Which F21 stores do you merchandise? The whole L.A. area? Just wondering.

    Also it's interesting to hear the history of the department store! I never knew about it.

    ReplyDelete